Community Share Healthy Food Policy
Community Share recognizes that a healthy diet supports better outcomes for people in need. We strive to guide families to an improved quality of life by increasing access to nutritious food.
1. We acknowledge that all members of our community have a right to sustenance and personal dignity.
2. We recognize the power of building community through food and commit to working towards making healthy eating accessible to all.
3. We welcome newcomers and strive to share foods that reflect the diversity of our community.
4. We commit to providing opportunities to increase health and well-being through food literacy and community capacity building.
5. We commit to sharing foods that are fresh and to adhering to food safety standards set by Toronto Public Health.
6. We prioritize sharing foods that are minimally processed, nutrient-dense and low in refined sugar and sodium.
7. We are conscious of the impact that our food choices and organization have on the environment.
We welcome foods that are consistent with this policy.
Donated foods that do not reflect these guidelines may be respectfully refused
in order to encourage the health and wellness of our community.
Adapted from Gordon Neighbourhood Healthy Food Policy.
Created at the request of Community Share by Christy Lai PMDip Nutrition Student, December 2018.